Tuesday, November 5, 2013

WHICH / WHOSE



A:        ayya kitaabin tureed(u)

           Which book do you want?

B:       ureedu (a)l kitaaba (a)lladee a'taytanee (iyyah(u)) fee (a)l marra(ti) (a)l akheera(ti)

           I want the book which you gave me last time.

A:      wa ayya me'tafin tureed(u)

          And which coat do you want?

B:      ureedu (a)l me'tafa (a)lladee a'artanee ashahra (a)l maadee

         I want the coat which you lent me last month.

*                     *                      *

A:      ayya wardatin tuhibb(u)
          ayya (a)l wurudi tuhibb(u)  

         Which rose do you like?

     (wurud is the plural of warda ; zuhur pl of zahra)

B:      uhibbu hadihi

          I like this one.

A:      ayya zahratin tuhibb(u)
          ayya (a)zzuhuri tuhibb(u)  

          Which flower do you like?

B:   uhibbu ((a)zzahra(ta)) (a)ssafraa(-a)

             I like the yellow one.


*                     *                      *


A:      liman hada (a)l kitaab(u)

          Whose book is this?

B:       innahu lee

           It’s mine.

A:      liman hada (a)l me'taf(u)


          Whose coat is this?

B:      innahu   me'taf(u) ukhtee

          It’s my sister’s.

A:      bintu man antee

          Whose daughter are you?

B:     ana bintu Ahmad


          I am the daughter of Ahmed.
          I am Ahmed's daughter

No comments: